We’re available 24 hours a day, to bring your loved one into care.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the first thing I do after a death occurs?
- If the death is from a known illness at home, call the family doctor and let them know that the death has occurred.
- If the death occurred at a hospital or nursing home the staff will usually contact the doctor.
- If the death was unexpected or sudden, call the police and they will advise next steps.
- After that the doctor or police have been contacted you then contact Heaven Funerals to arrange the transfer of the deceased into our care.
- We will suggest a time to meet and make all of the necessary arrangements.
When do the police have to be involved?
- If the death was sudden and unexpected the Police and Coroner’s office will be involved.
- Call them first and follow their instructions and then call family and friends for support.
- Be aware that the Coroner’s office and mortuary will need to be involved.
- Finally, call Heaven Funerals. We will suggest a time to meet and make all of the necessary arrangements.
- Once the Coroner sends an Order to Release, Heaven Funerals staff will go to the mortuary and transfer your loved one into our care.
How do we deal with a death at a hospital?
- The Ward senior nursing staff will talk you through the process once the death occurs. Each hospital is a little different so just follow their lead.
- Next call family and friends and then call Heaven Funerals. We will suggest a time to meet and make all of the necessary arrangements.
- You will need to sign an Authority to Release Form advising the Hospital that Heaven Funerals will be transferring your loved one into our care.
- Your loved one will be taken through to the hospital mortuary until the paperwork is done.
- Hospital admin will complete most of the formalities as soon as possible including a Cause of Death Certificate (Form 9) necessary for the release of the deceased.
- Heaven Funerals will follow up with hospital staff within 24 hours to see when all the papers are ready. Once completed we will go to the hospital mortuary to transfer your loved one into our care.
We were so pleased with the wonderful caring service we received from Ross and his family at Heaven Funerals. Nothing we asked for was too much for Ross and his excellent team. Ross assisted us in this difficult process, every step of the way. You don’t realize what is involved in organizing a funeral until you find yourself in that situation, as we did with the recent and unexpected passing of my father. Their combination of caring for our needs in a sensitive way and their expertise, made this a happy experience as we celebrated the wonderful life of my dear dad. I highly recommend Ross and his team for their professional funeral services.
On behalf of the Kaleopa family, we would like to give our sincere and heartfelt enormous gratitude for your genuine loving, caring, sensitivity, respectfulness, supportiveness and willingness to cater to our needs for our father’s funeral Veletalo’ola Notoa Samuelu Kaleopa. We would be honoured to highly recommend your business to others and delivering such high quality of service, it makes such a burden experience become so much bearable. We extend our love and gratitude to your family Ross and Lee and gladly adopt you as being part of our family. Love and blessing always xoxoxo